Is your home ready for summer? With today’s smart home features, it may seem like your house can almost run itself, but it does need a little human assistance from time to time. Here are 8 ways to spring clean your home for energy efficiency.
- Hire a professional to inspect and maintain your HVAC system. The last thing you want is to discover any air conditioning problems in the middle of a summer heat wave. And if you have a window air conditioner, don’t forget to inspect and clean the unit as well. Also be sure to check that the cord is damage-free and clean the air filter monthly when in use.
- Inspect all doors and windows for any air leaks. If you’ve got a sliding door, look for gaps here too and clean the track to protect the door’s seal.
- Clean window blinds and/or window treatments. Haven’t installed them yet? Now’s the time! When selecting window treatments, look for options that still allow some natural light into your home while blocking out heat.
- Clean ceiling fans. And if you reversed the direction for winter, make sure they’re now running counterclockwise for the summer months.
- Dust light bulbs and electronics since dust build-up can prevent them from working at top performance. And if you haven’t yet switched over to ENERGY STAR® certified light bulbs, now is a great time to do so.
- Clean the coils on the back of the refrigerator since dust and dirt can affect the efficiency of the appliance. Inspect the door seal to make sure it’s in good condition. And if your refrigerator has a water filter, follow the manufacturer’s recommended replacement schedule.
- Inspect and repair roof shingles and gutters.
- Fix leaky faucets. Better yet, install low-flow or water-efficient fixtures.
Interested in touring an energy-efficient model home? Visit us online at kbhome.com to find a brand-new KB Home community near you.